Conferences and events
Eurographics Workshop on Visual Computing for Biology and Medicine 2018
Collocated with MICCAI 2018
- Workshop Dates: September 20-21, 2018
- Submission Deadline: June 22, 2018
Aims and Scope
EG VCBM (http://www.vcbm.org), the Eurographics Workshop on Visual Computing for Biology and Medicine, is an annual event addressing the state of the art in visual computing research with a strong focus on applications in biology and medicine. It provides an interdisciplinary forum for experts (researchers and practitioners) from visualization, visual analytics, computer graphics, image processing, computer vision, human computer interfaces as well as experts from biology and medicine, jointly working on next generation visual computing solutions for medicine, healthcare and the biotechnology sector. This year’s workshop (already the 8th VCBM since its foundation in 2008) will be held during September 20-21, 2018, in Granada, Spain. It will be collocated with the MICCAI conference.
EG VCBM solicits the submission of original, application-oriented research papers that advance the fusion of visual computing methods within medicine and biology. All papers (regular papers as well as short papers) should focus on a well-defined biological/medical problem, and demonstrate a significant innovation or improvement in visual computing.
Suggested topics for papers include, but are not limited to:
- Visual computing solutions for medical applications like radiology, surgery, pathology, cardiology, nephrology, neurology, etc., including medical education
- Visual computing solutions for applications that support biomedical research in systems biology, *omics research, molecular pathology, neuroanatomy, biomedical imaging, etc.
- Operation room of the future including the uses of virtual reality and augmented reality in medical applications.
- Visualization approaches for data from new or challenging imaging modalities including real-time imaging (e.g., ultrasound)
- Visual computing solutions in the context of the virtual physiological human. Medical simulation and visual computing solutions that support new approaches in computational medicine.
- Visual analytics solutions for data coming from epidemiological studies, like population studies.
- Survey papers on visual computing in biology and medicine
Information for Authors
In addition to full-length papers, there will be again a short papers track, encouraging scientific contributions from an even more diverse group of researchers and practitioners. All VCBM 2018 papers (full and short) will be peer-reviewed and will appear in the Eurographics Digital Library.
- Full Papers: We do not impose strict maximum lengths for submitted papers to the full papers track. However, it is unusual for papers to exceed 10 pages (in CGF latex style including all images and references). Papers should only be as long as their content would justify. Reviewers might rate a submission lower if it is perceived as being unnecessarily long. Authors are encouraged to use supplementary material, such videos or executable programs to provide extra contents. As in previous years, the authors of the best three papers will be invited by the Computer Graphics Forum (CGF) journal to submit a revised version, which needs to have a significant amount of novel material, and be within the focus subjects of the CGF journal.
- Short Papers: Short papers describe a more focused and concise research contribution and are likely to have a smaller -yet significant- scope of contribution. Potential examples include the presentation of initial results from novel ongoing research projects or the exploration of new application areas. Short papers draw from the same list of topics as full papers. Their length is limited to a total of 5 pages (including references).
- VCBM 2018 will also feature a poster program, the details of which will be announced in a separate call.
We encourage the use of digital videos to support all submissions, particularly if part of, or all of the work covers interactive techniques. Please use only the most common video codecs such as MP4 to maximize the chances that the reviewers can view it.
Papers can be submitted using the Eurographics SRM conference management system here:
Login with your existing SRM account, or create a new one using the relevant links.
More information on the preparation of your submissions will also be available on the VCBM 2018 website: http://www.vcbm.org
- Paper submission deadline (full and short papers): June 22, 2018
- Author notification: July 31, 2018
- Camera-ready deadline: August 24, 2018
- Workshop: September 20-21, 2018
All deadlines are at 23:59 CET (UTC+1).